12.13.2007

Like we need another reason to hate

So, part of my job is to write grants. I'm not particularly fond of this, considering it brings me into contact with a ridiculous cross section of government lunacy. The latest result: being told that my last grant application was rejected for funding because the grant applications that my agency puts together are "too good".

How ridiculous is this?! Is there some sort of sweet spot that we're supposed aim for? The goal of a competitive process is to achieve success by being the best performer. There is no "too good", only "the best", who should come out in first place. What is this, college football?

Leave it to government to reward the anti-achievement mentality by buying votes from the grasshoppers. As long as we continue to enable those who choose not to perform, we grow weaker as a society.

No comments: