8.04.2008

Question of the moment: Will Rush ever be elected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Why in the wide world of sports do so many Rush fans care about this? Rush was built on a healthy foundation of not selling out or caring much about what people thought about their music. That's why so many of us claim to love them. Yet so many of us are ready to sell that legacy out to the decision of "popular" opinion---one that consists of what people think about their music.

I don't listen to Rush (or any other music, for that matter) because other people like it or not. I guess this explains how I feel about the critics' opinions, too. I'm the one listening, making personal and emotional connections within me with the music; it's not up to someone else to tell me what to like or how to feel. At the same time, the critics' opinions are their own and they are entitled to them. So in general, I feel that motions taken to get Rush inducted into the Hall or to hate on critics who pan the group are largely a waste of time. In fact, that critics and the Hall don't seem to care for Rush means that the guys are probably doing something very right.

Music is very personal and very often an emotional experience for me. In this parlance, I sure as hell am not concerned about Rush's status in the Hall. That's too much like "conforming or being cast out." That's not what Rush is about, and that's not what I'm about.

No comments: