7.20.2008

Sad news...

My fondest childhood memories include the nights Mom & Dad used to take us kids to Sandusky Speedway to watch the supermodifieds race. We spent many summer Saturday nights watching the Shullicks, the Sauniers, and the Gibsons take home trophy after trophy. I'm still a big fan, but they don't have supermodified racing out here in Oklahoma. So I follow it via the web.

Over the years the names and faces have changed, many times coming down through the next generation of family drivers. One of my favorites from back in the 80's was Todd Gibson. A racing legend, Gibson raced supermodifieds since the 60's and started races in IndyCar along the way. He and his son Gene Lee used to tear up the Perkins Township 1/2-mile asphalt oval regularly, their Baja Boats-sponsored roadsters in purple (#0) and yellow (#75) unmistakable as they zipped around the track.

Racing is many times a family affair. Todd's three other sons, Jeff, Terry, and Larry, are all involved in racing, and so is Larry's son Zach, who's a rising star in winged sprints. In fact, since I've been on a supermodified-photo-collecting kick lately, I stumbled on Zach's website the other night. This is where I learned about the rest of the Gibson family.

As I was reading Supermodified Scorecard to catch the weekend's race results, I learned that Terry had been killed in an accident in a MSA heat race at Toledo Speedway Friday night.

My thoughts are with the Gibson family as well as Terry Gibson's team and competitors during this difficult time.

No comments: